#SaturdaySessions: Ivan's coconut and lime ice cream with mango in mint syrup
Ice, ice, baby
Ice cream is always a good idea, and BBC celebrity Chef Rachel Allen has crafted a simple yet stunningly delicious recipe that you can recreate at home. After all, it features three ingredients that you can easily pick up from the supermarket — mango, coconut milk, and mint. Allen has dedicated the name of the recipe to her husband's cousin Ivan Whelan, the very person who first described an ice cream of the same flavour profile to her, colouring her intrigued.
Speaking about the recipe, Allen said: "This ice cream delivers a rich, but extremely refreshing, punch of flavour. The mango in mint syrup, while not essential, does bring it all together to make a lovely way to end a meal."
Here's what you need:
- 1 x 400g tin of coconut milk
- 1 x 400g tin of condensed milk
- Juice and finely grated zest of 3 limes
- For the mango in mint syrup
- 50g caster or granulated sugar
- 20 mint leaves, finely chopped
- Juice of ½ lime
- 1 large ripe mango, sliced
For the ice cream
How to make it
- 1. To make the ice cream, mix together all the ingredients well with a whisk, then pour into a container and place in the freezer for 3-4 hours until frozen.
- 2. In a small pot over a medium heat, dissolve the sugar in 50ml water. Put the chopped mint in a bowl with the juice of the lime and pour over the hot syrup. Allow to cool slightly, then add the mint leaves and lime juice and mix the syrup with the mango slices.
- 3. Serve the ice cream with slices of mango in the lime and mint syrup.
This recipe was reproduced from Rachel Allen's All Things Sweet with permission from the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). Learn to create more tasty desserts with Rachel Allen in her ongoing series, All Things Sweet. The show airs every weekend at 8.25pm on BBC Lifestyle (StarHub Channel 432)
For last week's #SaturdaySessions, click here.
- Image: Tara Fisher, 2014 from Rachel Allen, All Things Sweet (HarperCollins, 2014)
Buro 24/7 Selection
Why you should visit Latvia in 2018
Where locals eat in Los Angeles
Theatre review: W!ld Rice's Mama White Snake
Watch: What went down at our Christmas party
Singaporean illustrator Teresa Lim (aka Teeteeheehee) on art, meditation and her collab with Sunglass Hut
Buro 24/7 Selection