Meet the new French designer that's on everyone's lips
Simon Porte Jacquemus might not be a household name, but that's about to change.
The 25 year-old is one of the hottest designers in Paris at the moment, having just bagged the Special Prize award at the recent LVMH Prize 2015; a unique mention and recognition by the judges for his commercial and creative promise. And it's not hard to see why: His work possesses an alluring surrealist quality and childlike whimsy, but interpreted for the grown up woman.
With the eyes of the fashion world watching what this promising young designer will produce next, we clue you in on the need-to-know facts about this French national.
1. He grew up in the South of France The memories of growing up free and playful have stayed with him and inspire his designs. Case in point: His spring/summer 2015 collection was packed full of cheerful beach prints.
2. He designed and made his first piece of clothing at the age of 8 It was for his mother, and it was a skirt he fashioned out of curtains.
3. He adopts an 'instinctive' approach to design The self-taught designer cuts and drapes his designs on himself before fitting models.
4. He worked in retail before starting his own label Jacquemus worked at the Comme des Garçons store in Paris for four years, before leaving in 2013 to focus on his label full-time.
5. Contrary to popular belief, he did not name his label after himself He named it in honour of his mother, who passed away when he was just 18 years old.