5 fun facts about Vans in celebration of their 50th anniversary
It's probably an oversimplification to label Vans as a cult brand. With 50 years in the game kitting out teens, club kids and sports fanatics the world over, their immersion in subculture — everything from music, to art and fashion — have placed them on a fast track to global domination.
So, what better way to celebrate a legendary five decade hoorah than painting the town gold? Releasing limited edition collectibles in their 50th Anniversary Gold pack, the Classic Slip-On, Sk8-Hi and Old Skool models amongst others, are refurbished in jubilee tones. Accompanied by a lesson on the company's rich history, we share Vans' commemorative capsule collection as well as five "off the wall" fun facts about the American lifestyle brand.
1. Originally the Van Doren Rubber Company, brothers Paul and Jim Van Doren began manufacturing deck shoes — with their signature gummy sole — on location in 1996, and selling them to customers. Fulfilling their first morning order of 12 shoes in the afternoon on the same day, the #44 deck shoe (better known as the Authentic) were the orignal Vans sneakers.
2. The Old Skool model (also known as Vans #36) featuring a zig-zag side stripe had humble beginnings as a random doodle by Paul Van Doren.
3. The Era (Vans #95) designed by American skateboarders Tony Alva and Stacy Peralta in 1976 also marks the year the company undertook 'Off the Wall' as its slogan of empowerment.
4. Launched in 1977 and proliferating quickly amongst the skaters and BMX bikers, the Classic Slip-Ons (Vans #98) caught mainstream attention after Sean Penn donned a pair in Amy Heckerling's Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982).
5. To protect the ankles of skateboarders, Vans first released the Sk8-Hi in 1978, also known as the Vans #38. The tubular "ankle guard" sets it apart from the Old Skool model.
Shop the 50th Anniversary Gold pack collection at Vans boutiques located at Ion Orchard, Bugis+ and Jurong Point.
Buro 24/7 Selection
Happy Easter: 5 egg-shaped structures in Asia
World Sleep Day 2018: Iconic old-school movie moments in bed
Airbnb's Joe Gebbia talks about running a design-driven company
Meet MarthaLouisa, the footwear shopping destination soon-to-be every woman's online obsession
Singapore's luxury sleepwear label Maisonzhou adds new prints, colours and lingerie to their spring collection
Buro 24/7 Selection