You can say a lot in under 140 characters. Twitter co-founder and CEO Jack Dorsey wrote his first tweet (on @jack) 10 years ago on 21 March, 2006 — since then, Twitter has been the go-to social media platform to get news and opinions out, fast, and easy. It's amassed over 300 million active users, and has built communities around world events such as U.S. President Barack Obama's first presidential tweet, the Sichuan earthquake and Michael Jackson's death. Hashtags have both united and divided users across social and political issues — remember #lovewins, #JeSuisCharlie, #BlackLivesMatter and #withMalala?
It's also led creatives to tickle some serious funny bones. Some of the most hilarious Twitter accounts are parodies of influential personalities such as the Queen, Bill Clinton and Lord Voldemort. You'll be surprised — amid the cheekiness, the offensive retorts and the downright crudeness, there's always something to learn.
1. Lord Voldemort on being your best self:
Turn your magic on? Why would you ever turn your magic off?? #PepsiHalftime— The Dark Lord (@Lord_Voldemort7) February 8, 2016
2. Ron Burgundy on being body positive:
If you ever feel unattractive, just remember that you look like your ancestors and all of them got laid.— Ron Burgundy (@RonTheAnchorman) March 16, 2016
3. Bill Murray on the interchangeable nature of being positive and negative:
Has it ever occurred to optimists and pessimists that the glass is refillable?— Bill Murray (@BiIIMurray) March 15, 2016
4. God on how little movies really mean to your lives:
"Star Wars" spoiler: at the end, your life goes on unchanged.— God (@TheTweetOfGod) December 15, 2015
5. Queen Elizabeth II on the go-to hangover cures:
Queen Mother of a hangover. Someone get one a black pudding sandwich and a cup of tea.— Elizabeth Windsor (@Queen_UK) January 10, 2016
6. Jesus Christ on how you should never be ashamed of yourself:
Don't be ashamed of who you are.— Jesus Christ (@Jesus_M_Christ) October 30, 2015
That's my job.
7. Pinterest on how important avocados really are:
I may not have drive or passion in my life, but at least I have RIPE AVOCADOS!!— The Fake Pinterest (@PinterestFake) January 29, 2015
8. The Dalai Lama on how important spirituality is in bed:
Fundamentally, all spiritual traditions help us train our minds, overcome our negativities and fulfill our inner potential in bed.— Dalai Lama In Bed (@DalaiLamaInBed) December 20, 2015
9. Betty White on knowing your limits at that time of the night:
Tonight, please drunk text responsibly.— Betty F*ckin' White (@BettyFckinWhite) March 17, 2016
10. Finally, the most timely, most important lesson of all — how to copy Donald Trump's hairstyle for Halloween this year:
Now you can look good too!!! pic.twitter.com/OtjtTNtM7Z— Donald Trump's Hair (@DTrumpHair) February 24, 2016