1. You might have noticed him in Elysium.
You might not have noticed the actor among heavyweights such as Matt Damon and Jodie Foster, but Moura was in the sci-fi thriller playing the human smuggler Spider. He also sports a wifebeater in this one, and a fair amount of chest hair for extra bravado.
2. He gained 40 pounds to be ready to play the role of Pablo Escobar.
Drug lord Pablo Escobar was a lot of things, but trim he wasn't. To physically look the part, Moura had to add on 40 pounds to his physique to make the role more convincing. However, now that the second season has been confirmed, reports say that the actor would prefer to wear a fat suit the next time round instead.
3. He moved to Escobar’s hometown of Medellin, Colombia to learn the language. Before this role, Moura didn't even speak Spanish.
To gain a better understanding of the man he only remembers from television reports, the Colombian moved to Medellin to enrol in a university there. He took Spanish classes for six months, attending them in the morning, afternoon and night. He also spent time talking to the people in the neighbourhood Escobar built.
4. He was in one of the highest grossing Brazilian films, Elite Squad: The Enemy Within.
It becomes clear why Moura was chosen for the lead — Narcos' director José Padilha also directed him in Elite Squad: The Enemy Within, the sequel to the hit Elite Squad, a crime-fighting, drug lord-hunting film. It's been lauded as an action film with a good plot and an even greater cast, and was Brazil's entry into the Oscars for the Best Foreign Language Film category in 2011.
5. Moura dubsmashes like any other regular human.
Here's our proof, and there's more where that came from.
For last week's #ManCrushMonday, click here.