From indie darling to breakout star who's been tipped for an Oscar, we chart Brie Larson's career as her movie, Room, is released in local cinemas this week
1. She started acting since she was 9. The next time you watch your favourite feel-good romantic comedy, look again. The 26-year-old was one of the Six Chicks in 13 Going on 30 who tormented the lead. She also starred with 7th Heaven's Beverley Mitchell in the Disney Channel Original Movie Right on Track.
2. She had a shortlived singing career. Producing singles and music videos such as She Said, the actor released her album when she was 15, and even toured with Jesse McCartney for Teen People's Rock in Shop Tour.
3. She first gained critics' attention in the indie drama, Short Term 12. In this South by Southwest premiered film Larson plays Grace, the supervisor of a group home for troubled teenagers. Critics praised her performance, describing her as a "quiet revelation", and someone who "breaks your heart and raises your spirit in one fell swoop."
4. She recently won a Golden Globe.
For her role in Room, a film adaptation of Emma Donoghue's novel of the same name about a boy and his mother held captive in a small room, Larson took home the award for Best Actress in a Motion Picture, Drama — beating fellow nominees Cate Blanchett, Rooney Mara, Saoirse Ronan and Alicia Vikander.
5. She'll star in the King Kong prequel Kong: Skull Island in 2017. Together with leads Tom Hiddlestone and Samuel L. Jackson, Larson is pegged for blockbuster success with this reboot of the King Kong franchise. The last time the big guy was on screens was in Peter Jackson's 2005 movie starring Naomi Watts.
Room opens in local cinemas on 14 June. For last week's #WomanCrushWednesday, click here.