Get to know 16-year-old Billie Eilish, the youngest Laneway recruit
Don’t underestimate this musical wunderkind who’s creating her own distinguished niche with her indie-pop sound. Here are five things you didn’t know about this California native
1. Her debut single, 'Ocean Eyes', unexpectedly caught fire on the Internet What was meant to be a shareable link on SoundCloud for Eilish's dance teacher, whose purpose was to choreograph a dance to it, became a viral track in 2016. Weaving her dreamy vocals with an intense baseline of bass and pop, the silver-haired and strikingly bright-eyed artist was set on a steep, upward trajectory after releasing this haunting ballad.
2. It's not a one-woman show Eilish's 2017 eight-track debut EP, don't smile at me, is entirely produced by a 19-year-old artist who's just as remarkable as her. Finneas O'Connell (Shane in the Fox TV series Glee) and Eilish's brother were the mastermind behind the captivating tunes and grunge synths. The sibling duo have been carrying echoes of hip-hop in its edgy dark lyrics and trap-influenced beats, making them a force to be reckoned with.
3. She has sold out headlining tours worldwide 2017 has been a momentous year for the artist, who performed in spaces from one side of the globe to the other. She's sold out in North America, Europe, Australia and New Zealand, and she's not stopping here. With her mysterious tracks intertwined with grand metaphors and cascading vocals, the Interscope Records' youngest signee is in for another 46 shows this 2018.
4. At eight, she entered the Los Angeles Children's Chorus (LACC) There's got to be a reason behind the infectious hooks in Eilish's tracks. She's honed her craft from a tender age of eight. It's of no wonder how this dainty artist has earned her comparisons to 'Royals' star, Lorde.
5. She's known for writing unconventional and distinctive lyrics Behind those old jazz chords mixed with hip-hop beats lie lyrical fantasies that wouldn't be found in just any other 16-year-old. From writing about her struggle with depression to personal relationships, Eilish has evidently showed her flair in songwriting. But the highlight comes in 'Bellyache', a fictional tale from the point of view of a psychotic serial killer: "Sittin' all alone, mouth full of gum in the driveway. My friends aren't far, in the back of my car lay their bodies". No, not freaky at all...