Beauty how to: SS16 best makeup trends
Off the colour charts
Spring is in the air, and as a hair and makeup artist I am so excited about this season's looks. They are all so very different and diverse. The designers have allowed the artists to really showcase their creative skills. From the geisha inspiration for both the hair and makeup at the Maison Margiela show to the letters printed on the eyelids of the girls at the Aganovich show. Here I've picked my top three makeup looks this season and how you can do them at home.
THE INTENSE BLUE EYES AT MISSONI
Blue has made a big comeback this Spring/Summer, and can be seen on everything from eye-popping nail polishes to eyeliner... the brighter the better.
1. To achieve this look, start by prepping the lid with an eye primer. Once primed, the lid has a nice smooth surface.
2. Apply a concealer over the lid to even out the skin colour — this also acts as a base for the eyeshadow to sit on.
3. Then take a large flat eyeshadow brush and use your desired texture — whether it be a cream or powdered eyeshadow — and go to town. This look is bold so don't hold back, and apply it all over the lid. The blending rule goes out the window for this look.
Make Up For Ever Aqua Cream Waterproof in Intense Blue or Turquoise
These cream eyeshadows glide smoothly over the lids making them easy to apply. Plus they're waterproof and will stay on all though the day and night.
Nars Eye Primer
This primer stops smudging and creasing and its light texture makes your lids a smooth canvas.
THE BOLD RASPBERRY LIPS AT GILES
I do love a bright lip and this raspberry shade seen at the Giles show, is a little different than the usual reds or corals that we see year after year. The great thing about this shade is that it suits all skin tones from really dark to ultra pale. This is definitely one for the handbag this summer.
1. Make sure when you are wearing a bold lip colour that your lips are in good shape. Give them a good brush with an old toothbrush to lift dry skin and moisturise them after — there is nothing worse than cracked lips with a bold colour.
2. Start by framing the lip line with a lip pencil in a similar shade — this will give the lip a stronger shape. Then, take a lip brush and fill in with your desired lipstick. You can add a gloss to finish the look.
3. Made a mistake? A good tip when using bold colours is to use a small lip brush with a little cover up and go around the edges of the lip line to get a crisp finish.
Sephora Ultra Vinyl Lip pencil in Strawberry
This pencil glides on easily with its creamy texture and gives the lips more fullness. Bonus: it doubles up as a lipstick when on the run.
Chanel Ultra Wear Lip Colour in Strawberry Red
This two-in-one lip colour is versatile. If you want to go for a really high intensity, matte look, just use the lipstick as it has good staying power — the colour really pops and there is no need to reapply. But if you want to add more shine, use the other end, which doubles as a clear gloss.
THE TROPICAL EYES AT ALEXIS MABILLE
Summer is all about colour and I love this look at the Alexis Mabille show as the contrasting shades all blended together so they light up the eyes like rainbows.
1. Start by picking your colour palette of around three or four colours — the bolder the better. Start with your first eyeshadow colour and blend it all over the eye socket (in this case the bright blue).
2. Then with another clean brush, add another colour where the blue ended taking your next colour (green in this example) from the socket line up to the eyebrows, blending the two colours slightly.
3. Next, add a light colour with a small brush along the undereye lash line. Last, the final colour (red) should be taken along the outer corners of the eye and blended down towards the cheekbones.
4. Finish with a few coats of black mascara to define the eyes.
Urban Decay Electric Pressed Pigment Palette
This bolder than bright palette has the best shades to create this colourful look. It has ten colours to choose from and the pigments are all amazing and blend beautifully.
Tom Ford Beauty Ultra Length Mascara
This mascara gives the eyelashes a defined look that is eye-catching – it's clump free and adds jaw- dropping length to each lash.
Leave a comment
Buro 24/7 Selection
Formula 1 Singapore 2017: Duran Duran, OneRepublic, Seal and Ariana Grande to perform
The top 5 menswear haunts you must know in Singapore
Adidas is launching 6 more NMD Primeknit colourways at Pedder on Scotts
South Korean artist Ran Hwang’s installation for Asian Civilisations Museum uses 50,000 pins, fabric chilies, and 5 kilometres of string
What's it like working in a co-working space?
Buro 24/7 Selection