The looks in Paris at the spring/summer shows were diverse but intensely wearable. From ladylike elegance to the cool girl take on colours, there was something for everyone
In Paris, barefaced beauty in various incarnations was still popular on many runways. But amidst the natural beauties — a glowing complexion and unstyled, tousled locks were a prerequisite in most shows — were some standouts that could serve as beauty inspo in the coming months. From white accents to modern touches of shine, here are the trends we'll be testing out in time for spring next year.
1. A plush cherry mouth At Giambattista Valli, models sported a cream scarlet lip that had been blotted down for a natural matteness that was not too artificial, and infinitely more wearable for everyday. We would recommend Tom Ford Beauty Lipstick in Cherry Lush for a similar vivid effect.
2. Punkish gold Want to wear gold without looking too precious? We have the answer with this edgy, gold-dipped lip seen at Andrew Gn. Talk about a fresh way to go 24K.
3. Popsicle stains Want to look like you've been out in the sun, sitting by the beach sucking on popsicles? Channel the natural, fresh vibe at Leonard with this gorgeous lip-and-cheek stain combo. We love the sheer berry shade that works even on darker skin tones.
4. A braided updo While the makeup at Dior was kept light and ethereal, with luminous skin and pale colours on the eyes, lips and cheeks, the hair spoke volumes. The twisted bun revealed a complex series of braids when models turned their backs, for a brilliant two-faced effect.
5. Mauve lips We never knew we wanted to wear this delicate, fashion-forward lippie shade till we saw all the models sporting it at Acne. The perfect balance between grey, taupe and purple, we'll love this on a nail polish too.
6. Modern marcelled waves Think of this as the 2017 take on 1920's beauty. Clean and precise definition on this almost shellacked hairdo looks like the modernist, geometric version of classic finger waves.
7. Curls and colour At Vanessa Seward, the look was high-octane with vivid colour on both the eyes and lips, with hair in a halo of fuzzy curls. The models looked almost like secretary Barbies from the '80s, and we loved it.
8. Perfect circles Great for festivals and when you want to appropriate cultural or tribal-like symbols without being too literal or disrespectful, the random white circles drawn on the models at Issey Miyake — almost spartan in their simplicity — and the choppy, blunt ponytail gave off an otherworldly vibe.
9. Brushed up brows and matte lips Prim and almost severe, the fuzzy brows, berry blusher and soft matte lips at Guy Laroche is our new beauty inspiration. It's proof that heavy eyeshadow and bold lips are not the only way to attract attention with your makeup.
10. Rain-slicked beauty At Balmain, the vibe was sexy and smouldering, thanks to the sleek combination of rain-soaked tresses and gleaming highlighter on the skin. Taking the look into evening elegance? Smoky, grey eyes.